Extracurricular Activities and Clubs
Club Sponsor: Alicia Breen
- Uno Club has students from all levels of playing - beginner to card shark. The students play Uno after learning the official rules and they agree on different house rules. Students learn and use strategy to play the game.
Club Sponsor: Kristine Howell
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) is an after school club in which all students are welcome to attend provided they have turned in a parent permission form. The Houston Middle School (HMS) school sponsor is Dr. Howell. There is no fee to attend club meetings. Students typically fellowship, play games, and then read/ have a lesson from Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA). Upon request, FCA may provide students with a free Athletes Bible that includes lessons. FCA material may be reviewed online by searching Fellowship of Christian Athletes. FCA is a well established international organization that has been around for more than 60 years.
HMS Student Ambassador Club
Club Sponsor: Carla Christian
- The HMS Student Ambassador Club is for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students who desire to demonstrate leadership and service in our school. HMS Student Ambassadors are a community of representatives who LISTEN, LEAD, and LEND a hand. We value the opinions of others and strive to create a positive environment by encouraging responsibility and respect for all students. We want HMS to be a place where everyone is welcome, and every student succeeds. Student Ambassadors help give tours to prospective students, sponsor the annual HMS Lip Sync contest, promote a positive school culture, and conduct service projects to serve our community. Students must fill out an application and turn it in by the deadline. Students must have one teacher recommendation. Student Ambassadors are chosen based on the application and teacher recommendation. Student Ambassadors must sign a Code of Conduct and get parent permission to participate. There is no fee to join. Student Ambassadors meet 1 time per month on rotating days.
Dungeons and Dragons Club
Club Sponsor: Juliet Ammons
- The HMS 7th Grade Gamer Club is for students in 7th grade who like to play video
games, learn about video games, and discuss video games. There is no fee to join.
All students are welcome. There is no deadline to join. Students are invited to attend
every Monday in room 402 from 3-4 PM. The club will not meet on school holidays
or when students are not in the building. Students may bring a snack to eat.
Students should bring their phone or handheld device to play video games.
Handheld devices will need downloaded games or game cards to play, as there will
be no Wi-Fi available. Student’s must use data on their personal phones to play
HMS 7th Grade Gamer Club
Club Sponsor: Carla Christian
- Dungeons & Dragons is a fantasy tabletop role-playing game that was first published in 1974. The players use their imagination and simple math skills to form an adventuring party, exploring fantasy worlds together as they embark on epic quests and level up in experience. The Dungeon Master (also known as the DM) is the game's referee and storyteller. There's no winning or losing in D&D. Students get to embrace their creativity!